Friday, January 22, 2010

My fridge cleaning pics

This is the before
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


You have GOT to be joking! No way I can post a before of MY fridge!

I *may* post an after - but I am part way through.

If you HATE cleaning your fridge - like I do (mainly because it is so overwhelming ... here are my tips.

1. Get ready to be ruthless.

2. Get your timer. Set it for 10 minutes. Every 10 minutes you do - you get 5 (by the timer) to do something you love.

3. Start with the fridge door. Take everything out. Throw anything you don't eat, don't like, are saving because "X" who visits likes it, and any sauces that are even close to their expiry date. (because chances are they will still be there when they expire)

4. Pull out all the shelves in the door. Wash them and dry. Wipe down inside door.

5. Return everything to door. Organise.

6. Then STOP. Take a break. 5 minutes by the clock. Remember - we don't want this to be overwhelming.

Taking it one shelf at a time, repeat. Don't forget, if you get overwhelmed you are taking out too much at a time. One shelf at a time. Be ruthless.

If you are struggling, want to give up, want a coffee ... let yourself have a break. But FIVE MINUTES ONLY. By the clock.

Here is my after.




(why so much jam? because we were gifted a box of gorgeous blood plums. So Paul got to jam making. The jam stays. It is good!)

It took me a whole hour. But anyone who knows my fridge knows how much stuff we had in there.

It's kinda bare looking now ... and I love it!

Part of that hour was spent cutting up fruit so we would eat it and putting it in tupperware. Part was spent finding the tupperware as I've already packed it.

The last step is to pick a day of the week to be fridge cleaning day. Give it a general overview on that day, and wipe it over. It's easier to maintain than to start all over again!

4 comments:

  1. It looks great. I have a question...do you think the tupperware fridge smart things really do extend the life of the food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly lou - i do.

    But just check the size will fit in your fridge - I bought the lettuce one and there is no way it will fit, it's too tall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you thought about taking out the crisper drawers since you are storing your fruit and vegies in Tupperware? That way you might fit the lettuce keeper in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thought about it nat - right now they have yogurt in them ... we'll see

    ReplyDelete